Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes with 5 Pepper Chevre and Homemade Marinara








This afternoon I took a stroll through our garden picked a few things. One green tomato and a couple of peppers.  It was a short stroll.  Stroll may be to strong of a word.  Never the less.....I did make a damn good dinner with the bounty.  I had some home grown Roma and Cherry tomatoes on hand, check,  Vidalia onions, check, Garlic, check, Canned Tomatoes, check, Olive Oil, check, Tomato paste, check, Crushed red Peppers, check, Sugar, check. Good to go.... Marinara, double check. Heated a pan and added the olive oil.  Into the 'oo'  I threw in a finely chopped medium Vidalia onion, 2 cloves of minced garlic, about a tablespoon of tomato paste and salt and pepper.  While that was simmering away I took out the blender and threw in 4 Roma tomatoes and a handful of cherry tomatoes, whizzed until a beautiful pink bubbly emulsion formed.  I added that to the pan of onion and garlic along with the canned tomatoes and a large pinch of crushed red pepper and about the same of sugar then I stirred until the mixture started to turn from pink to a deeper richer red. It was smelling veddy veddy goot.  Moved it to the back eye of the range to simmer away.



I sliced that green tomato and set up my breading station.  Flour, beaten egg and Panko breadcrumbs all into separate containers. Next I took out a large skillet and heated 3 tablespoons of olive oil.  Salt and fresh ground black pepper on both sides of the tomato slices and then first into the flour then the beaten egg and finally the Panko breadcrumbs.  Ahhh....hear that sizzle as they hit the hot olive oil? Perfection. I love that sound. 





While monitoring the browning of the green tomatoes I placed a large pot of water on to boil.  When it came to a boil I added several large pinches of salt and then the three cheese tortellini that I had meticulously handmade bought earlier in the day.  While the pasta was cooking I made an appetizer portion of Panko Crusted Fried Green Tomatoes with Five Pepper Chevre and Marinara.  See pic.







Once the pasta was cooked I made the entree portion of the above with the tortellini.  See pic.  The only thing missing is a bit of Italian parsley.....mine in the garden didn't make it this year (thanks 100+ degree heat) and my local grocery....was out.  Ah well, the world won't end it still tasted great.


No one will miss the meat in this meal, I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Extremely flavorful meal. The tanginess of the green tomatoes with the fantastic tasting marinara was amazing. Add the creaminess of the cheese and then the top of your head just pops right off. It's almost more flavor than your brain can handle. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just made my first Fried green tomato... made an open faced BLT sandwich that was very good... Wish I had seen your post first...

    Please consider...


    Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you do, so many photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

    I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
    http://erecipecards.com/

    It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

    in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

    Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!


    Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

    Dave
    http://erecipecards.com/
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete