Friday, June 3, 2011

Popsicle Time!

Hot? We here in the south are melting.  It's not even summer yet and our thermometer has hit 100 degrees several times in the past week.  I can't take the heat therefore I have stayed out of the kitchen.  Unless it has been to open the freezer door and stick my head and as much of my body that will fit into the wonderfully, deliciously, soothing cold compartment.  I think it will be a long, long summer.  This calls for icy sweet concoctions.  I'm thinking popsicles.

Does anyone remember the old Tupperware popsicle makers?  Man, I thought those were the coolest (no pun intended) thing EVER when I was a kid. Mostly we had he long plastic tubes filled with sugar water. You cut off the top and squeezed the frozen delight up and out of the tube and tried to make it last as long as possible, those suckers were rationed like it was WWII.  I think that made them all the more exciting and special. 

Of course today, we have a veritable plethora of frozen concoctions to choose from right down the street at your local mega mart.  Many of them being very good and very expensive.  So if you have a kid, no matter the age, and a little time try some homemade frozen delights.  I like the following recipe, sprinkle a little of your favorite chili powder or garam masala on your pop for an interesting bit of spice.  The contrast between cold, creamy, sweet and a bit of heat is irresistible.  Put enough spice on it and it will make you sweat, therefore cooling your body even more.

Orange Banana Smoothie Pops


• 1 container(s) (7-ounce) Greek yogurt

• 2/3 cup(s) thawed orange juice concentrate

• 2 large bananas

• Zest of 1 lime

• 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lime juice

________________________________________

Directions

1. Puree one Greek yogurt, thawed orange juice concentrate, bananas, lime zest, and fresh lime juice in a blender.

2. Pour into six 3-ounce molds. (I used mini baking tins with Popsicle sticks, but you can also substitute paper cups.) Freeze until smoothie pops are solid, about 4 hours.

3. To release pops, dip molds into hot water until pops loosen and slide out. If using cups, peel away paper.

3 comments:

  1. My grandkids come to raid the freezer as often as they can escape (they live next door) and are always in the freezer to see what flavor Grama has for them. Love the recipe, sounds like a winner, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popsicles using frozen Greek yogurt! My granddaughters will love these...must make so they are ready on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been making this at home,and yogurt popsicles are the best.Sometimes I add other fruits and jello too.I found you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this yogurt popsicle widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for yogurt popsicles,thanks!

    ReplyDelete