Friday, October 1, 2010

Chocolate Dumplings


Chocolate Dumplings

1 cup Sugar
3 heaping tbls Cocoa
¼ cup Corn Starch
1 quart Whole Milk
1tsp Vanilla extract
2 Large Eggs – beaten
1 batch of biscuit dough (enough for about 12) or 1 large can of biscuits


On a floured surface roll out dough or biscuits to aprox ¼ inch thick and cut into aprox 1”x 1” dumplings.

In a med large pot over medium heat bring milk to a simmer. In a large bowl beat eggs, sugar and cocoa until sugar is dissolved and mixture is thickened. Mix in cornstarch and mix until completely smooth. Slowly add milk to the egg/sugar mixture, transfer back to the sauce pan bring to a boil over medium heat. Add dumplings stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes or until dumplings are done.
Remove from heat and add vanilla, stir to incorporate.

Serve warm, cool or cold.

Delish!


The following is the “original” recipe handed down from my Grandmother to my Mother to me.

Choc Dumplings

1cup sugar
3 heaping tbls coco
¼ cup corn starch
1 qt milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 beaten chicken eggs
Biscuit dough

Cut dough into dumpling size bites. Bring pudding to boil and drop dumplings into mixture, stir until all dumplings are cooked

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I want to thank you so much for this recipe! I grew up hearing about my grandma's chocolate dumplings, but although my mom knew how to make them, she never did and the recipe was lost. None of my aunts and uncles knew how to make them, though they remember them fondly. I have been searching for a recipe to use as a place to start, hoping I can get it as close to what my aunts and uncles remember as I can. But all I've been able to find were recipes that use brown sugar in the choc sauce...until I found yours. Given what I know of my grandma's cooking and what they were likely to have had in their pantry back then, I believe your recipe is going to be very close to what my grandma made, though she used rolled out and cut dumplings, not biscuits. So I made a batch this morning, using your sauce recipe and my mom's dumpling method, and I have to say it tastes pretty good! Now I'm about to take it around to my aunts and uncles, in hopes that it's pretty close to what grandma made. :)

    ReplyDelete